Monday, September 19, 2016

Monday In Bloom

I couldn’t get a screenshot of the temperature as I was on the phone with my friend when I went out to take pictures, but it was in the low-mid 70s, and the humidity was decent.  It was a bright, sunny day and not uncomfortable to be out.  We haven’t gotten as much rain this week as last, so things have been a bit on the dry side.  I’ll probably be out there Monday morning watering away. 

Overall, things are still looking pretty good.  The landscapers shaved a bit too close with the weed whacker so the grass edge around my little fence is all dead.  It’s actually a little trench that was originally landscaped in, and sometimes I think I’d like to fill it with smooth rocks or something. 

Do you notice what’s missing?
09-18-2016 GW20 (5)

Still looking bright and lush!
09-18-2016 GW20 (4)

In case you didn’t know, coleus is mostly a shade plant.  My little garden patches face East, South East.  So we get some morning sun, and in the afternoon the front section gets some, but everything else is pretty much in the shade by then.  So, clearly the coleus have been a good choice, and they really seem to love this corner, which also happens to be the shadiest.
 09-18-2016 GW20 (13)

Every time I see this pot, I think of a wedding gown.
09-18-2016 GW20 (10)

These mums are finally blooming.  They are indeed more of a rusty color and not the burgundy I was hoping for.  Oh well, at least it’s a pretty plant.  09-18-2016 GW20 (18)

For Ryan, at Stormbound Treehouse, this is what I was talking about last week when I said this plant matched the marigolds better than it matches the coleus.  Smile20160915_144643

Speaking of coleus (again!), can you believe how huge this thing is?! 
09-18-2016 GW20 (15)

The potato vine has lots of flower buds on it.  I’ve never seen it have so many!  I’m thinking it likes the shade more than the full sun I’ve been giving it each year when I buy it.  It’s vine-y, so I hung it, and the little tag thingy said it liked sun, but I’m thinking it only likes partial sun at best. 
09-18-2016 GW20 (21)

In case you didn’t notice what was missing in the first picture, here it is!  The hanging pot of sweet alyssum is no longer hanging.  The hanger rope broke when I was watering a couple days ago, just like its neighbor pot of potato vine did a few weeks ago.  So I guess I’m going to have to find a better hanging solution for these pots, or give up on the idea of hanging pots all together.  Yeah, I don’t like that last idea either!
09-18-2016 GW20 (22)

Still some lilies left on the plant!
09-18-2016 GW20 (29)

The lavender seems to be doing great.  I can’t recall how big they got last year (and seriously Vanessa, why do you take the pictures then?)  Okay just went to look back at last year’s pics, and the lavender, one of them anyway, did pretty well.  It made it through Winter but died in early Spring.  It was almost as big as this one, but that was in Week 28.  So, for all intents and purposes, this one seems to be doing better.  *fingerscrossed*
09-18-2016 GW20 (38)

Annnnd Autumn is fast approaching.  Thursday, at 9:21 AM CDT! 
09-18-2016 GW20 (41)

More snaps, yay!
09-18-2016 GW20 (42)

I simply adore this combination of the silvery Dusty Miller with the purple Sweet Alyssum.  It seems every pot that has one, also has the other.  While I was on the phone with my friend I just started snapping all of them.  I guess you could call it … Study in Silver and Sweet.  Open-mouthed smile

09-18-2016 GW20 (45)09-18-2016 GW20 (46)

09-18-2016 GW20 (47)09-18-2016 GW20 (48)

So grows my garden this week!  How’s yours doing?  Are you getting ready for Autumn?

All rights reserved by GardenNess

cross-posted on my daily blog 

To see all my pictures from the garden this week,

you can click either the link or the image below.

Thanks for looking!

2016 Garden Weekly 20 | Flickr

2016 Garden Weekly 20//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment